Sponsors can ‘express their interest’ to sponsor parents on January 2

Canadian citizens and permanent residents will soon be able to take the first step in applying to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada, when the Parents and Grandparents Program reopens in 2018.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) introduced a new process in 2017 for application intake for sponsoring parents and grandparents to make it fairer and more transparent for applicants. Now, potential sponsors must first notify IRCC that they are interested in sponsoring their parents and grandparents by submitting an “Interest to Sponsor” form. Using a random selection process, IRCC will then invite potential sponsors to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents.

Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Ahmed Hussen announced that the “Interest to Sponsor” form will be available at noon EST on January 2, 2018. Those who wish to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents in 2018 must first fill out this online form. It will be available until noon February 1, 2018.

“Family reunification is a priority for the Government of Canada. On January 2, I invite those who are eligible to sponsor to express their interest to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada. Helping more people reunite with their parents and grandparents in Canada demonstrates the government’s commitment to keeping families together, leading to successful integration and stronger ties to Canada.”

To help ensure the efficiency of the system and to allow as many eligible sponsors as possible to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada, it is important that only those who meet the sponsorship eligibility requirements submit an “Interest to Sponsor” form. Additional questions have been added to the 2018 version of the “Interest to Sponsor” form to help potential sponsors self-assess whether they are eligible to sponsor.

Are you eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent?
When sponsoring a relative to Canada, both the person sponsoring a relative and the person wishing to immigrate to Canada must meet certain requirements.

Applicants for permanent residence must go through medical exams, criminal checks and background checks. An applicant with a criminal record may not be allowed to enter Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security are not allowed to enter Canada.
You can sponsor your parents and grandparents if you’re 18 years of age or older, living in Canada and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. (If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor.)
As a sponsor you will also have to meet certain income requirements, and support that person and their dependants financially.
You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them) for a period of three to 20 years, depending on their age and relationship to you.
The sponsored relative, however, must agree to make every effort to support themselves.

Who’s not eligible to sponsor
You may not be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if you:

are in prison
defaulted on an immigration loan (late or missed payments)
have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
didn’t pay a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
didn’t provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on circumstances.


Bustani Media

Diaspora Community Hub!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *